Exceptional Children, Extraordinary Potential

Transition to Adulthood - Employment/Housing, Guardianship/Supported Decision Making, Youth Organizations


Centers for Independent Living (CIL) in Montana provide information and referral related to pre-employment transition services, equipment, financial assistance, recreation, housing, attendant care, support groups, legal rights and many other disability and community topics and resources.

Living Independently for Today and Tomorrow (LIFTT)
800-669-6319 toll free, 406-245-1225 TTYOffices: Billings, Glendive
Serves Treasure, Garfield, McCone, Rosebud, Big Horn, Prairie, Custer, Powder River, Richland, Dawson, Wibaux, Fallon, Golden Valley, Stillwater, Carbon, Musselshell, Yellowstone, and Carter counties.

Montana Independent Living Project (MILP)
800-735-6457 toll free, 406-442-5755 TTY
Offices: Helena, Bozeman, Butte
Serves Lewis and Clark, Powell, Granite, Deer Lodge, Silver Bow, Beaverhead, Madison, Gallatin, Park, Sweet Grass, Wheatland, Meagher, Broadwater and Jefferson counties

North Central Independent Living Services (NCILS)
800-823-6245 toll-free, 406-452-9834 TTY
Offices:  Black Eagle, Glasgow
Serves Glacier, Toole, Liberty, Hill, Blaine, Phillips, Petroleum, Fergus, Judith Basin, Cascade, Chouteau, Teton, Pondera, Valley, Daniels, Sheridan and Roosevelt counties and Blackfeet, Fort Peck, Rocky Boy and Fort Belknap reservations.

Summit Independent Living Center (Summit)
800-398-9002 toll-free, 406-728-1630 TTY
Offices: Missoula, Hamilton, Kalispell, Ronan
Serves Missoula, Ravalli, Mineral, Lake, Sanders, Flathead and Lincoln counties.

Community Action Agencies - Assist low-income children, women and men learn, work and live through program that address Childcare, Education, Emergency Services, Employment & Training, Energy Assistance, Food,Homeless Services, Housing, Tax Assistance, Transportation, and Youth Employment and Training.

Action for Eastern Montana - Serving Sheridan, Daniels, Valley, Phillips, Roosevelt, Richland, McCone, Dawson, Prairie, Wibaux, Custer, Fallon, Powder River, Carter, Rosebud, Treasure and Garfield counties, including two Indian Reservations.Glendive (406) 377-3564, (800) 227-0703

Action Inc - Serving Beaverhead, Deer Lodge, Granite, Madison, Powell and Silver Bow counties.
Butte (406) 533.6855, (800) 382-1325

Community Action Partnership of Northwest Montana - Serving Flathead, Lake, Lincoln and Sanders counties.
Kalispell (406)752-6565, (800) 344-5979 
Libby  (406) 293-2712
Thompson Falls (406) 827-3472

Opportunities, Inc - Serving Cascade, Toole, Pondera and Glacier counties.
Great Falls (406) 761-0310

Rocky Mountain Development Council - Serving Broadwater, Gallatin, Jefferson, Lewis & Clark, Meagher, and Park counties.
Helena  (406) 447-1680

Human Resources Development Council (HRDC) Community Action Agencies

District 4: Serving Hill, Blaine, and Liberty counties and Ft. Belknap and Rocky Boy Reservations.
Havre  (406) 265-6743, (800)-640-6743

District 6:  Serving Fergus, Judith Basin, Petroleum, Wheatland, Golden Valley, and Musselshell counties.
Lewistown  (406) 535-7488, (800) 766-3018

District 7: Serving Big Horn, Carbon, Stillwater, Sweet Grass, and Yellowstone counties.
Billings   (406) 247-4732, (800) 433-1411
Hardin    (406) 665-3500, (406) 665-1395

District 9:  Serving Gallatin, Park, and Meagher counties
Bozeman  (406) 587-4486
Livingston (406) 333-2537

District 11: Serving Mineral, Missoula and Ravalli counties.
Hamilton (406) 363-6101
Missoula (406) 728-3710
Superior (406) 822-4251

UM Rural Institute Transition & Employment Projects - http://ruralinstitute.umt.edu/transition/


    Guardianship / Conservatorship Brief (MT DPHHS) 


    Montana Guardianship Legal Assistance Program (MT-GLAP) - https://courts.mt.gov/cao/ct_services/probono/resourcearticles/mt-glap  
  • A guardianship is is a court-ordered protective arrangement for a person (called the ward or "protected person") who has been found by the Court to be incapacitated and in need of someone to oversee his or her personal care and decision-making to protect the ward's health and safety.  A guardianship may be used only as is necessary to promote and protect the well-being of the incapacitated person.
  • The Montana Guardianship Legal Assistance Program (MT-GLAP), in partnership with dedicated volunteer attorneys, Montana Legal Services Association, the State Bar of Montana, and the Montana Supreme Court Pro Bono Program, is a statewide program designed to help meet the guardianship and conservatorship needs of low and moderate income Montanans, and those seeking assistance for special needs children.
  • For information on program eligibility contact:  Angie Wagenals, Pro Bono Coordinator, Montana Legal Services Association at 406-442-9830, Ext. 148 or awagenha@mtlsa.org

    Montana Parent's Handbook on Transition (PLUK Legacy Resource) - http://pluk.org/Pubs/PLUK_Transition_Adult_04_2008.pdf

    UM Rural Institute Alternatives to Guardianship Toolkit - http://ruralinstitute.umt.edu/transition/atg.asp


Montana Youth (MY) Transitions - http://montanayouthtransitions.org/